The Underground – Issue #20
Everything you need to know about in this weekly series: A must-see Netflix series, a breathtaking underwater video, more practical effects in Star Wars VII, a band that you need in your life, a book that will utilize the Internet to bring out your potential, and Marvel’s latest little offering.
At Social Underground we go beyond the mainstream stuff and see what’s underneath the surface. What should we get into, listen to, read, eat or watch? If there is something in our culture that needs attention that’s our job: Show you the underground things that you need to know about: Books, music, television, movies, comedians, art, and whatever else we can find to get you into something you never knew about. That’s The Underground.
1. Netflix’s Bloodline is a must-watch original series that you probably haven’t heard about. Bloodline is a series about family of adult siblings that find that their past secrets and scars are revealed when their black sheep of a brother returns home.
This series is an example of a slow-burning TV show. You can’t really jump into episode 5 and have any clue about what’s actually happening. The character development in the series is detailed and slowly reveals what you thought about the characters in the 1st episode will be completely rearranged by the 8th episode. If I could compare this show to anything, it would be a mix of True Detective and Breaking Bad.
Bloodline is available for streaming on Netflix as we speak. Check out the trailer below to get a feeling for it:
2. This video of a deep underwater camera surprised by a Sperm whale is the most breathtaking video you’ll view today. When ships send little robots down 2,000 feet and get met with an object that makes the scientists viewing it freak out, you know you have video gold.
The Sperm whale appears on the right side of the screen out of complete darkness which leads one of the researchers to yell, “What the heck is that?! Oh my God! What is that!?” The Sperm whale seems to just want to check out what these little subs are. I guess it’s better than fighting a Kraken. If they captured a Giant Squid on camera, all you would hear in the control room is me screaming.
Check out the video below to hear researchers go nuts over capturing this on camera.
3. That soccer ball droid in Star Wars VII is a practical effect, and they just unveiled it on stage. The Star Wars Celebration has been going on for the past few days. The new trailer featuring the first look at Han Solo has had the Internet going insane over every screencap of both trailers. What the producers wanted to go back to is using practical effects instead of every effect looking like a video game.
One of the biggest claimed practical effect was the ball droid that was seen in the first trailer. People were surprised when they were told that the droid is a practical effect and not another CGI tennis ball that actors had to react to. Don’t believe me? Check out the little robot named BB-8 at the celebration:
This little Droid is the most impressive thing to come out of the Star Wars universe in sometime. Now let us never speak of the prequels. EVER.
4. Big Data is an electronic band that you need in your ears. You may look at the name of the band and have no idea who they are or what they sing. No doubt you have once watched a TV show or commercial and heard a song that you wanted to listen to again, but you have no way to find out what the song is at that moment.
Big Data has one of the most recognizable songs used in multiple film trailers this past year. It wasn’t until recently that I finally found out who they were and got immersed in their unique music.
Listen to the song “Dangerous,” and you’ll instantly recognize it:
Their new album 2.0 is out now including the single “The Business of Emotion (feat. White Sea)” & “Dangerous (feat. Joywave)” Head over to their YouTube page to get more samples of their music. You won’t be disappointed. You can also purchase the Dangerous single here.
5. Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk is a book that will change your life.
I majored in a few things before I landed on Marketing. I had the credits and figured it is a wide reaching field that could nab me a job. The problem with that is I had no interest in Marketing. It’s not what I wanted to do, and it actually makes me sick.
This book will try to help you find what you love so that you don’t end up flinging rubber bands at your desk for 30 years because you majored and invested your life into something that makes you miserable.
Do you have a hobby you wish you could do all day? An obsession that keeps you up at night? Now is the perfect time to take those passions and make a living doing what you love. In CRUSH IT! Why NOW Is The Time To Cash In On Your Passion, Gary Vaynerchuk shows you how to use the power of the Internet to turn your real interests into real businesses. Gary spent years building his family business from a local wine shop into a national industry leader. Then one day he turned on a video camera, and by using the secrets revealed in this book, transformed his entire life and earning potential by building his personal brand. By the end of this book, any reader will have learned how to harness the power of the Internet to make their entrepreneurial dreams come true. Step by step, CRUSH IT! is the ultimate driver′s manual for modern business.
This is a book you can use, and also give it to your parents to read. I know many older people that have great ideas, but they have no idea how to utilize the Internet. Posting ads in local newspapers and wondering why no one is calling? It’s because no one is reading local news in an actual newspaper anymore. They’re online!
Pick up Crush It!: Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion by Gary Vaynerchuk on Amazon right now to set your future in a new direction.
6. The debut Ant-Man trailer looks pretty fun. Marvel probably made a big mistake releasing the trailer for their latest movie,which features a superhero that can shrink down to the size of an ant, get super strength, and also talk to ants. This trailer has been overlooked ever since Batman v Superman and the Star Wars VII released their trailers and got this one lost the wake.
Paul Rudd was questionable for me to be any type of superhero, but this trailer proves I was pretty wrong. Superhero movies have been doing that lately (Heath Ledger as The Joker, Ben Affleck as Batman), so I think this will be a good movie. It could’ve been an even better one, but they fired Edgar Wright (Hot Fuzz, Shaun of the Dead), which set the bar pretty low, so we’ll just have to wait.
Check out the trailer to Ant-Man below for some tiny action:
FOLLOW JEFF SORENSEN ON TWITTER