The Underground — Issue #37
Everything you need to know about in this weekly series: How old school video games were made, the best of Conan’s Clueless Gamer, A short film that nails what it’s like to be at an awkward cocktail party, Bill Nye the Science Guy attempts to answer one of mankind’s biggest questions, and Google made a super router to boost your WiFi.
At Social Underground we go beyond the mainstream stuff and see what’s underneath the surface. What should we get into, listen to, read, eat or watch? If there is something in our culture that needs attention that’s our job: Show you the underground things that you need to know about: Books, music, television, movies, comedians, art, and whatever else we can find to get you into something you never knew about. That’s The Underground.
1. Witness the brilliance of how old school games were made. In the ’80s and early ’90s, games were a bit simpler. The graphics weren’t quite up to what are used to today, but what they made up for was a better game play and a complicated system in which games were designed. Sure, they looked like little blocks that made up pictures, but when you zoom out, you got beautiful animation.
The video below explains just how the first video game makers made some of the best games ever. Put down your Xbox One controller and see how they did things back in the good old days.
2. The 5 Best CONAN ‘Clueless Gamer’ Segments. If you play video games, it feels like you’ve played them forever, but when you give the controller to someone who has no idea what they’re doing, it can be quite hilarious — also annoying if they don’t listen to instructions). That’s the case when you give Conan O’Brien the controller with access to some of the best new games on the market.
Watching him play, you may think he’s joking, but after a few minutes, you understand that he is completely clueless when it comes to video games. I’ve lined up the 5 best segments I can’t stop watching when I want to laugh. He manages to be funny while maintaining his awfulness at just about every game he plays.
Check out the list below:
Halo 5: Guardians: Team Silicon Valley vs. Team Coco
Marshawn Lynch and Rob Gronkowski Play Mortal Kombat X With Conan O’Brien
Conan O’Brien Reviews Grand Theft Auto V
Clueless Gamer: PC Horror Game Edition
Conan O’Brien Reviews Skyrim
3. This short film nails what it’s like to be at a cocktail party with social anxiety. Being single and 30 means having a lot of friends who are in relationships or married. Standing around and hearing them talk about how they want to finish their kitchen or build a deck really makes you want to finish every glass of wine near you. Cocktail parties always start and end the same way, and this short film really hits every tier of what it’s like to go to a cocktail party.
What A Nice Party was written and directed by Matt Ingebretson (follow him on Twitter). It stars Richard Bain, Jen D’Angelo, Josh Fadem, Matt Ingebretson, Esther Povitsky, Anna Seregina, and Jake Weisman. After you watch this hilarious short, try to keep the steps of what happens at a cocktail party in your memory so you can laugh to yourself the entire time.
4. Bill Nye weighs in on whether “forever” exists. What is probably one of the biggest things drunk people talk about around a bonfire is the idea of “forever.” We’ve all been to that bonfire before: The topic usually comes up after the politics and old stories have been exhausted. People start looking up and begin questioning reality. Groups of people have discussed this for thousands of years in different environments. It all leads to fascinating conversation, but always tends to end with no concrete answer.
Sure, you can talk about the Big Bang, but what happened before that, and what happened before that, and before that? What about God? Well, how long has God been there for? Who created God? What about before that happened?! Theology and science can’t answer it yet, but in the following video, Bill Nye the Science Guy is asked if “forever” exists and he answers as best he can with the information his life experience has given him.
5. Google and TP-LINK made a super router called “OnHub” to get you the fastest WiFi possible.
If you’re not very tech savvy, you probably pay $10+ a month for your local internet providers router. On top of all the BS fees that you pay for cable/internet, it’s better that you have your own router, and a better one at that.
The OnHub is the router you need in your home to give you the fasted connection possible. Check out what this bad boy has to offer:
- Get smooth streaming and speedy downloads thanks to innovative antennas and smart software.
- The companion Google On app makes setup simple and offers help if there are Wi-Fi issues.
- Automatic updates mean you’ll always have the latest features and security upgrades.
- AC1900 for Wi-Fi speeds up to 1900Mbps.
- Built with 13 high-powered antennas to provide reliable Wi-Fi coverage in more directions in your home.
- Supports both 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies, which means fast Wi-Fi for all your devices.
- Industry-leading 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support.
Not long does the OnHub work great for your home, it also looks pretty fancy when you put it among your home decor.
The normal router looks like an old glowing TV with antennas coming out of it. This one looks great and works great which is why there is such a high demand for it. It’s sold out right now on Amazon, Google Store, NewEgg, and TP-LINK, but a new stock should be coming in on August 31st.
Follow Jeff Sorensen on TWITTER
Jeff Sorensen is an author, writer and occasional comedian living in Detroit, Michigan. You can look for more of his work on The Huffington Post,UPROXX,BGR and by just looking up his name.