The Underground — Issue #51
Everything you need to know about in this weekly series: The new Captain America trailer, 5 of the biggest mass extinctions on the planet, what Earth would look like with Saturn’s rings, why leaves change color during Fall, and have a look at Amazon’s new drone delivery system.
At Social Underground we go beyond the mainstream stuff and see what’s underneath the surface. What should we get into, listen to, read, eat or watch? If there is something in our culture that needs attention that’s our job: Show you the underground things that you need to know about: Books, music, television, movies, comedians, art, and whatever else we can find to get you into something you never knew about. That’s The Underground.
1. Marvel continues to print money with the trailer release of Captain America: Civil War. When it comes to superheroes, Captain America is pretty boring: He doesn’t like swearing, he doesn’t drink (well, he can’t get a buzz because his body processes it so fast), the love of his life Peggy Carter is like 100, and the first 2 movies that featured him didn’t really show off what he could do. In Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Cap finally got to be a badass and ended up being in arguably the best Marvel movie in the MCU.
Premise: After another incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability, headed by a governing body to oversee and direct the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers, resulting in two camps, one led by Steve Rogers and his desire for the Avengers to remain free to defend humanity without government interference, and the other following Tony Stark’s surprising decision to support government oversight and accountability.
Captain America: Civil War will release on May 6, 2016. Check out the trailer below:
2. The 5 biggest mass extinctions to happen on the planet Earth. Besides the event that caused all the dinosaurs to peace out, no one really talks about other mass extinctions that have happened on this planet. Hell, scientists are even talking about the planet going through another mass extinction right now. If you look at the monsters that scooter around at Walmart buying the worst foods that put them in the handicap scooter in the first place, you can imagine human beings coming to the brink of extinction.
Animals all over the planet are on the edge of extinction. A lot of that is due to humans expanding their territory and using up all the natural resources. Let’s not forget those idiots that decide hunting endangered animals is a fun sport.
Check out the 5 biggest mass extinctions in history:
3. What would it looks like on Earth is it had Saturn’s rings? One of the most fascinating things for visual artists to do is create that look of the sky in an alien world. Tattooine in Star Wars was famous for a sky with two stars. The pictures sent from the rovers on Mars show a red sky that makes us yearn to see it with our own eyes when we eventually make the journey there, but what if Earth was different? What would Earth’s sky look like if it had rings?
The sky would look a lot cooler if we had rings, but I could image getting sleep would be more difficult since the rings would give added light at night.
4. Why do leaves change color in the Fall? Living in Michigan, I get to see the leaves change color every year. After leaves change color, we get 6 months of Winter that make you look at why you live in a place that feels like the dread everyone is not looking forward to in Game of Thrones. I knew that in Fall that the leaves changed colors before eventually falling off, but I never really knew why. I just figured that’s what happens.
The video below explains why the leaves chance every year before it starts to get really cold and have to break out the shovels to dig out of the hell that is Nordic hell that is Winter.
5. Amazon unveils in Amazon Air drone delivery system. We’ve heard about drone delivery services before. Just the other day we put up an article about how Google plans to do it in 2017, but no one can be sure if it will actually happen. Amazon seems to have a drone ready to go with what looks like a drone I haven’t seen before. It looks like it could be something that’s pretty great in theory, but if you know anything about Amazon, they sell a lot of things. Imagine what Cyber Monday would look like in the sky if everyone was ordering from Amazon. It would look like locusts blocking the Sun because there were so many drones.
Amazon has talked about the type of delivery system before, so I guess we’ll just have to wait and see if they can pull it off. Having so many drones in the air delivering stuff could be a risk to the people below. Either way, have a look at the new promo showing off the Amazon Air that may be delivering things to your front door in the near future.
Follow Jeff Sorensen on TWITTER
Jeff Sorensen is an author, writer and occasional comedian living in Detroit, Michigan. You can look for more of his work on The Huffington Post,UPROXX,BGR and by just looking up his name.