The Underground — Issue #56
Everything you need to know about in this weekly series: A little girl plays every instrument to one of the most famous soundtracks of all time, the year 2015 in science, how much of a tank is the President’s limo, John Oliver destroys New Year’s resolutions, and the misconceptions that everyone has about sugar.
At Social Underground we go beyond the mainstream stuff and see what’s underneath the surface. What should we get into, listen to, read, eat or watch? If there is something in our culture that needs attention that’s our job: Show you the underground things that you need to know about: Books, music, television, movies, comedians, art, and whatever else we can find to get you into something you never knew about. That’s The Underground.
1. This little girl playing the Star Wars theme by herself is the most impressive thing you’ll see all day. I remember the time I first was able to play a full song on the piano. It was about 5 years ago and I thought I was the best. I just watched this little girl play the entire theme to Star Wars. Not just the synth… EVERYTHING. She plays all the instruments at the same time. She also plays other parts from the space opera. I’m a pretty good musician, but I got into music late — 14-years-old. This little girl must have started when she was born.
I’ll shut up, just watch this and go to her channel for even more. It’s so fun to see.
2. The year 2015 in science. A lot of science went on in 2015. We’ve covered a whole bunch of it here at Social Underground, but when it comes to the best rundowns, we’ll always give it to the people at Futurism.com to make the best infographics that show you everything happened each week and at the end of every year.
Check out this infographic of what happened in science in 2015.
3. The President of the United States rides around in a tank. When you’re the most important man on the planet, you can’t just be driving around in a Prius. A lot of shady people are out to get you because you’re the leader of the free world. Everyone knows that the President has a tricked our lim0 that he drives around in, but they don’t really know much else about it other than it’s bulletproof and could probably drive through a brick wall.
This photo-spread below shows you just how awesome the limo is. I mean, I had no idea that the inside of it was pressurized like an airplane to protect against chemical attacks. That’s crazy.
4. John Oliver revises our New Year’s resolutions with a web exclusive video. At the beginning of every new year, everyone decides they are going to start anew and make ourselves better, but after 2 weeks, everyone usually gives up. If you have ever been to a gym at the beginning of a new year, you’ll notice that it’s jam-packed every day, but after a little while, all the regulars are still there and all the newbs are back to eating pizza in a room alone with Netflix playing.
In the video below, John Oliver points out this silly tradition of people having resolutions at the beginning of the New Year. My resolution last year was quitting smoking. Did it happen? 1 year, no smoking, baby!
5. The 3 misconceptions of sugar that you always get wrong. When it comes to common myths, we believe a lot of bullcrap. Most of it come from our parents that came from their parents. “You can’t swim until 30 minutes after you eat!” Nope, that isn’t true. You can eat a big turkey leg while you’re swimming if you want, it’s just that doing that is disgusting and your neighbor probably won’t want to talk to you anymore.
Sugar, and how your body reacts to it, are all probably wrong. Hell, most people don’t know the difference between carbohydrates and complex carbohydrates. One is an Apple, and the other is a Whopper from Burger King. I’ll let you look up the difference between the two types of carbs on your own.
Check out the 3 common misconceptions of sugar below.
Follow Jeff Sorensen on TWITTER
Jeff Sorensen is an author, writer and occasional comedian living in Detroit, Michigan. You can look for more of his work on The Huffington Post,UPROXX,BGR and by just looking up his name.