The Underground — Issue #76
Everything you need to know about in this weekly series: Kitchen hacks that you need in your life, competitive Matt Stonie eat more food in a sitting than you do in a week, a video that tries to explain what and who you are, a trailer for a beautiful film about going to the moon, and a reunion of the classic The Simpsons writing staff with Conan O’Brien.
At Social Underground we go beyond the mainstream stuff and see what’s underneath the surface. What should we get into, listen to, read, eat or watch? If there is something in our culture that needs attention that’s our job: Show you the underground things that you need to know about: Books, music, television, movies, comedians, art, and whatever else we can find to get you into something you never knew about. That’s The Underground.
1. 10 kitchen hacks that you need to know about. When it comes to cooking, I’m pretty fantastic. People that say they are bad cooks or are bad at math are simply bad at following instructions. You follow the recipe and you get the result. If you don’t follow the recipe, you will get some garbage food that your dog will bark at angrily.
There are some pretty cool kitchen hacks in the video below. The one about lettuce was something I didn’t know about. I open lettuce one day, and the next it’s all soggy. No one wants to eat a soggy salad.
2. Watch competitive eat Matt Stonie display his eating prowess in his 5 best videos. Every July 4th is a time where America can celebrate its independence. Also, America can celebrate its indulgence is junk food by watching people compete in the Nathan’s hot dog eating contest. Matt Stone unseated Joey Chestnut in 2015, and that shocked the eating world since Chestnut was the reigning champion. Stonie posts a lot of videos of just how much he can eat. It’s scary, actually.
I just want to know if these guys and gals throw up after eating so much food. 25 Big Macs is a hell of a thing to try to push out.
Eating 25 Big Macs in One Sitting (World Record)
14lb “Big Mac” Burger Challenge
“Burritozilla” killed in under 2 Minutes!
The Ultimate Nacho Platter (8,000+ Calories)
Giant Bowl of Trix Cereal (5,000+ Calories) — Apparently Trix changed the look of its cereal. I am just as upset with Stonie at this revelation. It’s like cereal companies don’t care about anything anymore.
3. What are you? I mean, seriously, what exactly are you? Sure, you’re watching Netflix, going to work, drinking a beer, doing laundry, but what exactly are you as a living being. What happens to your body when you die? What happens before. You always hear that your cells are regenerated every few years. When they say you aren’t the same person you were 10 years ago, they aren’t really wrong. Is that why You hated foods when you were a kid? Now you love that food that you hated. I dunno, but this video really explains a lot.
Don’t watch this video if you’re stoned. You’ll probably spend the time after watching it looking at your hands. Well, pretty much all things involving marijuana involve staring at your hands. Just watch the video and ponder your existence.
4. The documentary The Last Man On The Moon is incredible. Remember when astronauts went beyond the Earth’s orbit? Lately, humans have been going to space but not really exploring the solar system unless it’s with unmanned probes and machines. This movie shows what it was like to be an astronaut going to the moon when space travel was at its most dangerous.
Premise: When Apollo astronaut Eugene Cernan stepped off the moon in 1972 he left his footprints and his daughter’s initials in the lunar dust. Only now, forty years later, is he ready to share his epic but deeply personal story. Cernan’s burning ambition carried him to the spectacular and hazardous environment of space and to the moon. But there was a heavy price to pay for the fame and privilege that followed. As his wife famously remarked, ‘If you think going to the moon is hard, try staying at home.’ The Last Man on the Moon combines rare archive material, compelling visual FX and unprecedented access to present an iconic historical character on the big screen.
You can watch the movie on Netflix right now. Have a look at the trailer below.
5. A The Simpsons writers reunion that will give you some serious nostalgia. The Simpsons is my go to when I need something to watch. People can say what they want about the later seasons, but nothing beats the show from season 3-12. The show gained major humor when Conan joined the writing staff. His zany writing really led to the show getting funnier and taking it beyond just a situation comedy. It’s rumored that he was going to be the showrunner before he was offered his late show in the early 90’s.
All that being said, watching the crew behind some of the funniest bits on television is really a treat. I often imagine what it’s like to be inside a writer’s room of some of my favorite shows, but imagining being in the room when these guys are brainstorming some of the most quotable line from the show would be a dream. This is as close as we’ll get.
Follow Jeff Sorensen on TWITTER
Jeff Sorensen is an author, writer and occasional comedian living in Detroit, Michigan. You can look for more of his work on The Huffington Post,UPROXX,BGR and by just looking up his name.