Elon Musk Announces SpaceX’s Ambitious Plans For Mars And Beyond
Elon Musk, who’s basically Tony Stark if he wasn’t a narcissistic alcoholic, made some major announcements today. He announced SpaceX’s plans to make humanity a multi-planetary civilization. This is big news since humans have yet to go past the moon. A lot of that has to do with NASA getting a stunted budget since we no longer have to compete with the Soviet Union to get to the moon, but Musk is all about the exploration.
Here’s a rundown of the ambitious plans from SpaceX:
- Get to Mars in our lifetimes.
- Make it affordable for anyone to get to Mars for a reasonable price (about the cost of a $200,000 house).
- Makes the crafts that go from Earth to Mars reusable.
- Reducing costs to get there and back without wasting vast amounts of resources.
- Producing propellants on Mars by creating a propellant plant on the surface.
- And here is the 4 main points needed to achieve the whole shabang:
- A simulation was shown of what the vehicle will look like to get to Mars. Musk insisted that it wasn’t just an artist impression:
- Planning up to 10,000 flights when it gets to that point.
- Musk showed off a very specific version of the ships that will take us to Mars.
- Here is the comparison of the Mars vehicle versus past space vehicles:
- Musk really goes on to explain the rocket engines and fuel needed to lift off.
- A cluster of multiple engines will be in place where if many fail, it can still function.
- Musk went on to explain the advances in their heat shield tech.
- He went on to explain the funding, which includes public and private sources, but he dropped a South Park joke about the underpants gnomes. I love this guy.
- Musk showed off a history of SpaceX.
- Musk then showed a preview of the future of SpaceX’s testing.
- Musk explained transport of cargo to different cities from Tokyo to NYC in 25 minutes onto floating platforms.
- Musk explains that there is a lot of risk, there could be failures, but “we’ll do our best.”
- He plans on having ships constantly coming and going from Mars and Earth like trains leaving the station.
- Musk now looks to go beyond Mars with the technology SpaceX by planet hopping or moon hopping with propellant depot’s. Basically gas stations for ships that travel further.
Elon went on to answer questions from the audience, which included questions about where the ships would be built, a question of toilets from a stoner who went to Burning Man, the historical context of travelling to Mars, questions of radiation and more.
I really suggest you watch the full presentation from Elon Musk on getting to Mars. I thought it would only be a hypothetical look at what they want to do, but it was a very specific and planned out project that gives me hope that many of us could travel beyond the moon in the very near future.
Watch the entire presentation below to really grasp the scale of what he is trying to do. It’s nice to see a genius billionaire doing things that aren’t for profit, but for exploration.
Follow Jeff Sorensen on TWITTER
Jeff Sorensen is an author, writer and occasional comedian living in Detroit, Michigan. You can look for more of his work on The Huffington Post,UPROXX,BGR and by just looking up his name.