Introducing the Grobo One ‘Smart’ Hydroponic Grow Box
Sometime between a farmer first growing crops seasonally and Jane Jetson making her boy Elroy breakfast via computer is the Grobo One; the “easy-to-use hydroponic grow box.” The Canadian start-up’s mission is to make growing food or cannabis at home easier to do for the general public. Starting April 20, the future of growing at home is now when Grobo begins shipping its first Grobo One units. Additionally, on 4/20, Grobo will again be taking in a limited amount of reservations. Users will be able to purchase Grobo for $1,599 USD if paid in one installment, or $1,699 USD with a $300 deposit.
Grobo was initially founded on the idea of regular people being able to grow high-quality food year round. Founded by CEO Bjorn Dawson, an ardent gardener. According to the company’s origin story, Dawson “vividly remembers cutting into a watermelon he had grown and being surprised to find seeds inside. He had been so used to the genetically modified fruit from the grocery store, and saw this as a clear example of how distanced we are from what fresh food should be.” Canada’s winter months make it impossible for Dawson to grow his crops outside year round. After he had created a makeshift greenhouse in his home, the idea for an easy-to-use home hydroponics system was born. Dawson founded Grobo in April 2014 and was joined by co-founder and CTO Chris Thiele (formerly with Thalmic Labs and BlackBerry) in July of that year. As they moved along in their research and development phase, the two realized that the budding cannabis industry was an excellent field for their product. Grobo could do so more than simply feed people. It could help provide herbal medicines of all kinds including cannabis.
The process of hydroponic growing is a complex one that can be far too daunting for someone merely looking to get to the benefit part of home-growing things. The Grobo One looks to do just that. With a simple, attractive design, the app=controlled Grobo One isn’t something you necessarily have to hide in a closet (Unless you don’t want people to see your stash).
Here are the specs:
● Design-Minded – The fully enclosed system measures 14” x 14” x 4’ and is constructed with aluminum, plastic and high-quality Canadian hardwoods (hard maple).
● Organic – Grobo One’s nutrients and growing medium allow users to adjust the pH. Refills can be purchased directly from the online store.
● Advanced Lighting – lighting cycles and w avelength/ spectrum of 53 LEDs (color and intensity) can be adjusted to promote compact and dense plant growth .
● Energy-Conscious – Consumes on average ~100W (1.8 kWh) of electricity. This is equivalent to a ceiling fan and will cost about $0.20 USD per day. LEDs are expected to last over 100,000 hours.
● Versatile – Fluid glass front panel transitions from clear to opaque while allowing users to enjoy their beautiful plants without disturbing their environment . ● Autonomous – The system permits watering up to 8 times a day and holds 5 litres of water, which is generally enough to last an entire grow cycle.
● Odor-Free – Activated charcoal (carbon) eliminates all smells a plant may produce. For maximum odor control, the carbon filter should be replaced every grow or approximately every 3 months.
● Pest-Free – By using a unique coconut growing medium, the risk of soil-borne pests is eliminated
The Grobo One package with the fully assembled unit, a nutrient pack, and the proprietary growth medium. The Grobo One’s app tracks all plant growth variables.” Advanced growers can design their own grow programs and share them with the Grobo community. The Grobo One can grow anything from cannabis to herbs, fruits, flowers, peppers, strawberries and more.
According to the press kit, it is as simple as three steps:
1. Add your seeds and water to Grobo One
2. Tell the app what you planted
3. Sit back and relax while Grobo One cares for your plants
In between steps 2 and 3, the Grobo One’s tech monitors and “continuously monitors and adjusts your plant’s environment to ensure it has the perfect light, water, nutrients, and temperature to flourish. If the system requires attention, you’ll receive a notification outlining exactly what is required. ”
An added feature for cannabis growers is a lock “to ensure that children are not able to open a Grobo One if cannabis is being grown inside.”
Shipping on 4/20 and re-opening for reservations, Grobo’s Grobo One looks to plant its seed and bear some old school seeds-and-all fruit in the burgeoning app-controlled home hydroponics world.