The Underground — Issue #64
Everything you need to know about in this weekly series: Just how deep is the ocean, a return to point-and-click adventures from the creators of Maniac Mansion, Donald Trump gets taken out to the woodshed, a documentary about how abuse at a young age could turn a child into a psychopath,
At Social Underground we go beyond the mainstream stuff and see what’s underneath the surface. What should we get into, listen to, read, eat or watch? If there is something in our culture that needs attention that’s our job: Show you the underground things that you need to know about: Books, music, television, movies, comedians, art, and whatever else we can find to get you into something you never knew about. That’s The Underground.
1. Just how deep is the ocean? If you know me, you know that I hate boats and that water scares the hell out of me. This may sound insane since I live about 800 feet from a big lake, but the more murky a body of water is, the more I want nothing to do with it. If you have ever been on a boat in the middle of the ocean, jump off the boat and go for a win, just know that there is miles of water below you. This means from where you are to the bottom of the ocean, there could be ocean life that we know nothing about. There are creepy things swimming by your feet.
My incredible fear aside, the ocean is really deep. In some part, it’s REALLY deep. This video shows you just how deep it is, and why I will only look at the ocean from the beach.
2. Thimbleweed Park looks like a beautiful mash-up between Maniac Mansion and The X-Files. Maniac Mansion and its sequel are without a doubt two of the best games ever made. Point-and-click adventures have been lacking in a time where video games are pretty much rolled out where you just shoot alien in a FPS format. It has led me to stop caring about video games since they’re all basically the same damn game over and over. What Thimbleweed Park will give us is that classic NES game where you will actually have to take hours of time figuring out puzzles, using items, and using your brain to try to win.
The game won’t be coming out until later this, but I’m willing to wait that long because quality takes time. Until then, I’ll just have to watch this new trailer over and over again. Let us all give thanks to the creators Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick (creators of Maniac Mansion) for giving us this gift. PRAISE THEM!
3. Relive John Oliver completely taking apart Donald Trump. Whatever you have to say about any candidate for President, there is nothing you can’t say about Donald Trump negatively that isn’t too harsh. For the past 40 years of his life, he’s been a flip-flopping maniac that will run over anyone to stay famous and rich. If you actually sit down and watch an entire Trump rally, you will see what he will be saying for the next 6 months. I was writing the other day with CNN in the background, and I literally didn’t know that the rally they were showing was live. He kept saying the same things over and over again. He just bragged, gave vague promises, and made cheap insults to everyone from the other candidates, pundits, and Romney. It was amazing since it was a whole hour of this. He also kicked someone out of the rally every 5-10 minutes.
Anyway, a week ago, John Oliver reluctantly took on Donald Trump on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. He didn’t just make fun of Trump, we went over his entire life of work to show that he’s a POS. Say whatever you want about anyone else, but please don’t vote for this guy. Threatening to erase the 1st Amendment while also bluntly saying he will commit war crimes is just a tiny sliver of what his presidency will be.
4. Child of Rage is a documentary that will make you scared of your kids. Have you ever seen those movies where there is a psychotic child trying to murder their family and not care at all about it? This is a story about a 6-year-old little girl named Beth who wants to kill her entire family and shows no remorse in what she says. The look in her eyes as she says it makes me want to double-check my doors at night so no murderous toddler breaks in and removes my eyes with an ice cream spoon.
What the little girl in the video suffers from is called Reactive attachment disorder (RAD). It’s described in clinical literature as a severe and relatively uncommon disorder that can affect children. RAD is characterized by markedly disturbed and developmentally inappropriate ways of relating socially in most contexts. It can take the form of a persistent failure to initiate or respond to most social interactions in a developmentally appropriate way—known as the “inhibited form”—or can present itself as indiscriminate sociability such as excessive familiarity with relative strangers—known as the “disinhibited form”.
Below is the full documentary that shows what abuse on a child at a very young age could do to a child and how the child will be affected by this abuse. Spoiler Alert: They’re terrifying! RUN!
But seriously, though it shows nothing graphic, what is spoken is NSFW.
5. Do protein shakes even work after you drink them post-workout? One of my favorite things to do after working out is drinking the protein shake. It feels like a reward to yourself after lifting heavy things and putting them down. But, like supplements and denial that your body absorbs those pills, do protein shakes even do anything after you drink them? Short answer: Not really. Depending on what your diet is, you’re already getting enough protein in your diet anyway. If you go to the gym a lot, you definitely get enough protein to render that protein shake useless.
This video explains in detail that you probably spend $40 a month more than you should on protein shakes:
Follow Jeff Sorensen on TWITTER
Jeff Sorensen is an author, writer and occasional comedian living in Detroit, Michigan. You can look for more of his work on The Huffington Post,UPROXX,BGR and by just looking up his name.